There are many reasons people avoid going to the dentist. If you were able to eliminate the discomfort from needed treatment, this might also help ease the anxiety you feel. Now you can with the introduction of sedation dentistry.
What are the benefits of sedation dentistry?
- For patients that have a fear of needles, that is eliminated. In addition, there is no need to deal with the time it takes for the “freezing” anesthetic to wear off.
- For patients that have trouble sitting for extended periods of time, sedation dentistry allows needed treatment to be completed easing pressure on the patient as well as the dental provider.
- Since discomfort is eliminated during the procedure, the dental provider can work more efficiently usually reducing the time needed to complete treatment.
- For periodontal procedures, the patient is totally relaxed.
- The sounds that accompany many dental procedures are less obtrusive for patients being treated with sedation dentistry.
Longer procedures usually create more anxious moments. The patients gets tired from holding their mouth open for extended periods, and the longer the treatment goes on the more anxious the patient becomes. With oral sedation, the patient remains conscious and awake although most patients report they feel like they “slept” during the procedure. Time passes quickly for sedated patients making their time in the dental chair seem brief.
With sedation dentistry, your periodontist and staff will continually monitor your vital signs to guarantee the safest procedure available. Your dental provider has completed extensive training to offer the benefits of sedation dentistry.
It will be necessary to have reliable transportation to and from your dental appointment as well as someone that can stay with you for a few hours after you have returned from your appointment. Driving a car or operating any type of machinery following sedation is not advisable.
With these benefits, your dental provider has removed the main obstacles that people cite for not going to the dentist – fear and discomfort. Patients are now finding that taking good care of their dental health is no longer something to fear and dread, but a much more pleasing experience that will allow for excellent oral health, which will ultimately enhance overall good health.
Contact Park Cities Periodontics & Implant Dentistry, serving Dallas TX, to learn more about the advantages of sedation dentistry.